Rolled Buttercream Icing
You can substitute any kind of flavoring instead of the butter flavoring. Use clear Loranne Oil 1/2 tsp or 1/4 tsp each of 2 flavorings. This will cut down on the icing being so sweet. EXAMPLE: Use 1/4 tsp of orange & 1/4 tsp of lemon.
- 1 c
- vegetable shortening, solid (crisco)
- 1 c
- corn syrup, clear (karo)
- 1/2 tsp
- butter flavoring, clear
- 1 tsp
- vanilla flavoring, clear
- 1/2 tsp
- popcorn salt (powder form, or salt that has been put in a blender)
- 8 c
- powdered sugar, approximately 2 pounds
How to Make Rolled Buttercream Icing
- 1This recipe should be made with a heavy-duty mixer. The paddle, not the wire whip, should be used.
- 2Place the shortening and corn syrup in a mixing bowl and beat until creamy.
- 3Add flavorings and salt and beat until blended.
- 4To color the ENTIRE batch of Icing: Mix the color with the shortening and corn syrup mixture BEFORE adding the powdered sugar.
- 5Mix in powdered sugar, pouring it in the bowl over about a 30 second period, and blend thoroughly, approximately 30 seconds to one minute after the last bit of sugar is added.
- 6Turn icing onto your work surface and knead until smooth and well blended.
- 7Store icing in sealed plastic bag then place bag in airtight container let sit for about 30 minutes to rest.
- 8Icing can be refigerated for several weeks or frozen for several months. Let icing come to room temperature before using.
- 9To test for readiness: Pull the icing apart. If it stretches when pulled apart the icing is too soft*. When you are sure that icing is not too soft, gently stroke a portion of the icing with the palm of your hand. If all cracks and marks disappear and the surface appears shiny, it is ready to use. If the cracks do not disappear, the icing is too firm**.
- 10*If the icing is too soft and sticky and stretches when pulled apart, knead in additional powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time.
- 11**If the icing is too firm and cracks and marks will not disappear, knead in a few drops of water until the proper consistency is achieved.
- 12To color samll portions of Icing: Mix the color to the center of a ball of icing.
- 13Knead the color in until well blended. If the color softens the icing, knead in more powdered sugar.
- 14To cover a cake you use the same method as if using rolled fondant.