Poor Man's Ham Salad
I make this now for a group of friends and they call often to let me know they need more.
How to Make Poor Man's Ham Salad
- You'll need a grinder for this. The old crank type or electric, it you have one. Grind the Bologna through a coarse grind plate.
- Grind the Sweet Pickles into the ground Bologna, adding some of the juice to make moist. (You certainly can use Sweet Pickle Relish if you like) I've also used "Bread n' Butter" pickles when I was out of Sweet.
- My figures for the Mayo, Mustard etc. are approximate as I make a much larger batch and do it all by sight and taste. Mix the Mayo in first, then Mustard.
- I don't add the diced onion, because although it adds texture and taste, you can't hold this long w/ raw onion in it. Instead, I use a Jalapeno Relish that has pickled onion in it. It's available at Mexgrocer.com I add this after finishing for those whom desire a little kick, leave the main batch without.
- When it's all mixed and to your taste, pack in clean jars or Tupperware. It'll hold in the refrigerator for two weeks and better. If it begins to get a bit dry, just mix a little more Mayo into it.
- This is great on sandwiches and also works well as a canape or cracker topper, just sprinkle a little Paprika on it to look pretty.
- My first time to post anything here, so I hope I've been clear and haven't broached any protocols...LOL