Home canned ketchup
1 cwhite vinegar
1 tspcelery seed
1 1/2 tspbroken cinnamon stick
1/2 tspwhole cloves
25medium size, ripe tomatoes, washed and quartered
1 Tbspchopped onion
1small chopped hot red pepper
How to Make Home canned ketchup
- In a sauce pan, bring first 4 ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Cut your tomatoes into a large pan (I use a roaster because I make a huge batch at once)
- Chop onion and pepper (any hot pepper will do, just adjust amount to accomodate heat)Add to tomatoes
- On medium heat, cook vegetables until complete cooked down.
- Put through a colander and make certain you get all the pulp you can
- Pour juice and pulp back into large pan (why not, it's already dirty)Discard peelings and seeds
- Add the sugar all at once and the salt a tsp at a time or to taste. You can add more if you like.
- Cook the juice until reduced to roughly half the amount. Add strained vinegar mixture and continue cooking, at medium heat (you do NOT want this to scorch so be patient) until flavors come together.
- At this point you can either continue to cook until reduced to thick, ketchup consistency OR you can use a starch product such as Ultra Gel to thicken the product. It is less time consuming and you end up with more ketchup and the flavor isn't affected.
- Ladle into hot, clean pint jars and cap.
- Water bath 15 minutes. Let cool and store in pantry