Heavenly Seven Minute Frosting
NOTE: It's important to not over-beat or under-beat the mixture for this frosting. It can become grainy from the sugar otherwise.
How to Make Heavenly Seven Minute Frosting
- In a large saucepan (or bottom of a double-boiler)bring 1 inch of water to a simmer.
- In a large stainless-steel bowl (or top of a double-boiler) combine the sugar, egg whites, 1/4 cup of water, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Set the bowl over the simmering water and beat the egg white combination with a whisk or hand held mixer until the frosting holds stiff peaks, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the water and continue to beat until cooled and billowy, about 2 minutes more. Beat in the vanilla.
- Wait until cake (or cupcakes) is completely cooled before icing.