Carrot-Ginger Tea Sandwiches
- 2 medium
- carrots, finely grated
- 2-3 Tbsp
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- ginger, fresh, finely grated
- 4 slice
- good firm bread*
- 4 tsp
- unsalted butter
- alfalfa sprouts, optional
How to Make Carrot-Ginger Tea Sandwiches
- 1* Choose the best-quality bread as possible. Never serve end slices. Freezing the bread before cutting and then spreading makes for easier handling.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine carrots, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and ginger; add salt and pepper.
Spread one side of each piece of bread lightly with butter. Top the buttered side of 2 slices of bread with carrot/ginger mixture (about 1/4-inch thick). Top with alfalfa sprouts and top with the remaining bread slices, buttered side down.
Carefully cut the crusts from each sandwich with a long, sharp knife. Cut the sandwiches in half diagonally and then cut in half again. If desired, decorative shapes can be made with cookie cutters.
- 3MAKING SANDWICHES AHEAD OF TIME:
If you need to make tea sandwiches in advance and need to keep them from drying out, cover them loosely with a sheet of wax paper and then place a damp kitchen towel over the wax paper (never place a damp towel directly on top of the bread because the sandwiches will become soggy). Refrigerate.