2 cbasil leaves, fresh and packed
1/2 cParmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese, freshly grated
1/2 cextra virgin olive oil
1/3 cpine nuts or walnuts
3 clovegarlic, minced (medium-sized)
How to Make Basic Pesto
- Combine the basil with the pine nuts. Pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.)
- Add the garlic. Pulse a few times more. (You can use a mortar and pestle instead if you'd like.)
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on.
- Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese.
- Pulse again until blended.
- Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.