- tomatoes ?
- stone jar or granite kettle
- 8 c
- tomato pulp
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 c
- vinegar, 4 to 6 % acidity (40 to 60 grains)
- 2 Tbsp
- non iodized salt
- 2 large
- onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- mixed spices, tied in a bag (pickling spice?)
MAKE TOMATO PULP
How to Make 1950 Workbasket: 100 Year Old Recipe For Tomato Catsup
- 1Cut out core and blemishes from tomatoes but do not peel.
Cook tomatoes well, then put in stone jar or granite kettle.
Leave until white mold BEGINS to form (no longer).
This takes from two to three days.
Let tomatoes drain overnight in a sack, then run through a sieve.
- 2To 8 cups of tomato pulp, add sugar, vinegar, salt, chopped onions and the mixed spices (in a bag).
Cook thirty minutes, or until as thick as desired.
Stir frequently and put in sterilized jars.
"When opened, this catsup does not need to be kept in the refrigerator and will keep sweet indefinitely."
About 1950 Workbasket: 100 Year Old Recipe For Tomato Catsup
You May Also Like:
Show 17 Comments & Reviews