- 3 lb
- fresh tomatoes peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (best quality!)
- 3/4 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp
- ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp
- pepper (not specified but a 70/30 combination of black pepper and cayenne pepper was tested)
- 2 Tbsp
- honey (good quality!)
- 1/4 c
- whole blanched almonds, toasted and chopped (did not blanch the almonds)
How to Make Matisha Mhassela
- 1In a large sauce pan, combine the tomatoes, cinnamon and ginger. Partially cover the pan and cook over LOW heat, stirring once or twice until the mixture has the consistency of a thick puree, about 1-1 1/2 hours. (Afterthought: you could probably use a crock pot to prep the tomatoes.)
- 2Add the pepper and honey. Cook, stirring until the honey dissolves about 4-5 minutes.
- 3Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl. Garnish with the toasted almonds and serve. Note: I liked the coulis best at room temperature.
Will keep up to a week, covered in the refrigerator.