Cheesy Grits Cakes, Sunshot Salsa & Jalapeno Sauce
They are really cute and your kids are sure to love the shapes.
1/2 tspsea salt
1 Tbspbutter, unsalted
1 cstone-ground grits
2 Tbspheavy cream
1/4 tspfreshly ground black pepper
1 csharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 ccanola oil
3 cwhite cornmeal
·sour cream, for serving
·sunshot salsa, for serving
·smoked jalapeno sauce, for serving
How to Make Cheesy Grits Cakes, Sunshot Salsa & Jalapeno Sauce
- Lightly butter an 8-inch square casserole dish.
- Bring the water, salt and butter to a boil in a heavy saucepan.
- Whisk in the grits and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in the cream.
- Stir constantly over low heat for about 45 minutes, or until thick and creamy.
- Remove grits from the heat and stir in the pepper and cheese until the cheese is melted and thoroughly combined.
- Pour the grits into the prepared baking dish, cover, refrigerate overnight.
- Invert the casserole dish over a cutting board and remove the grits from the pan.
- The grits should be set and solid.
- Cut the grits in half and then cut each half into 1-inch slices.
- Heat canola oil in a sauté pan or skillet over medium heat until the oil is 350degrees on a deep-fat thermometer, or just boiling.
- Dredge the grit cakes in the cornmeal and add to the oil, cooking about 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown an hot through the center.
- Serve with the sour cream, salsa, and jalapeno sauce.