Cheesy Grits Cakes, Sunshot Salsa & Jalapeno Sauce
They are really cute and your kids are sure to love the shapes.
- 2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- sea salt
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1 c
- stone-ground grits
- 2 Tbsp
- heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 c
- canola oil
- 3 c
- white cornmeal
- sour cream, for serving
- sunshot salsa, for serving
- smoked jalapeno sauce, for serving
How to Make Cheesy Grits Cakes, Sunshot Salsa & Jalapeno Sauce
- 1Lightly butter an 8-inch square casserole dish.
- 2Bring the water, salt and butter to a boil in a heavy saucepan.
- 3Whisk in the grits and return to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat to low and whisk in the cream.
- 5Stir constantly over low heat for about 45 minutes, or until thick and creamy.
- 6Remove grits from the heat and stir in the pepper and cheese until the cheese is melted and thoroughly combined.
- 7Pour the grits into the prepared baking dish, cover, refrigerate overnight.
- 8Invert the casserole dish over a cutting board and remove the grits from the pan.
- 9The grits should be set and solid.
- 10Cut the grits in half and then cut each half into 1-inch slices.
- 11Heat canola oil in a sauté pan or skillet over medium heat until the oil is 350degrees on a deep-fat thermometer, or just boiling.
- 12Dredge the grit cakes in the cornmeal and add to the oil, cooking about 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown an hot through the center.
- 13Serve with the sour cream, salsa, and jalapeno sauce.