- 5-6 clove
- garlic, peeled
- 1/4 c
- sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c
- grated parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 c
- lightly packed basil leaves, washed and dried
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice (optional, but seems to keep pesto a brighter green after opening)
- 3/4 c
- olive oil (plus more if freezing)
- 1 tsp
- salt (or to taste)
How to Make “Secret Ingredient” Frugal Pesto
- 1Pulse garlic in a food processor until minced. Add seeds and cheese, pulse a few times to chop, and then add the basil and continue to process until all is finely chopped. Add lemon juice, if using.
- 2With the machine running, add the oil in a fine stream. Process until pesto is smooth. Add salt to taste (less will be needed if using salted sunflower seeds).
- 3To store in the freezer, pour about 1/2 cup into containers, add a shallow layer of olive oil to the tops, label with date and freeze. Keeps for about a year, if it lasts that long.