- 28 oz cans of italian crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 3-4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- oregano, dried
- 2 Tbsp
- basil, dried
- 1/3 c
- 1 Tbsp
- salt, optional or to taste
- 1 tsp
- ground black pepper, optional or to taste
- 1/2 c
- red wine, optional
- olive oil to cover bottom of dutch oven
How to Make Marinara Sauce
- 1Put just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a dutch oven or stock pot. Saute garlic until gently brown. Add tomato paste to oil and garlic and continue to gently saute for only a few minutes.
- 2Add the Italian crushed tomatoes and all other dry ingredients (and wine if you are using it). Stir and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sauce from sticking to the bottom.
- 3Allow sauce to simmer for 3 hours. (You will have to continue to stir sauce to prevent burning).
After 3 hours, remove sauce from heat and allow to cool. At this point you can refrigerate or freeze.
- 4This sauce can easily be doubled or even tripled to make enough for several meals. Also, you can add meatballs, sausage, pork or beef while simmering and you will have a great meat sauce.