Instant White Sauce Home-Made Mix
From the February 1973 issue of Woman's Day magazine.
- 1 c
- all-purpose flour
- 4 c
- instant dry-milk granules
- 4 tsp
- 1 c
- butter or margarine, cut up
How to Make Instant White Sauce Home-Made Mix
- 1Put the first three ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- 2Add butter and mix in well with hands or cut in with a pastry blender until crumbly throughout.
- 3Put in a large glass jar or other container and cover tightly. Store in refrigerator. Makes 7 cups mix.
- 4TO MAKE SAUCE: Use 1/3 cup of mix for a thin white sauce; - 1/2 cup mix for a medium sauce; - and 1 cup of mix for a thick sauce.
Combine desired amount of mix with 1 cup of milk in a small, deep, heavy saucepan. Put over medium heat and cook, stirring, until thickened. Boil gently, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. (add cheese or other ingredients at this time; heating til melted or heated through). Remove from heat and use as desired. Makes about one cup of sauce.