Jamaican Jerk Sauce Recipe
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 cground allspice berries
1/2 cpacked brown sugar
6scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and cored (wear gloves!)
1 Tbspground thyme or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
2 bunchescallions (green onions)
1/2 tspfresh nutmeg
·kosher salt and black pepper to taste
2 Tbspsoy sauce to moisten
How to Make Jamaican Jerk Sauce Recipe
- Place allspice, brown sugar, garlic, Scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, scallions, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and soy sauce in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- You may use whole allspice berries, if available, but use enough to give the equivalent of 1/2 cup ground. (Allspice berries and scotch bonnets are key ingredients.)
- Keep this sauce refrigerated and it will virtually keep forever. Feel free to increase the hot peppers and garlic.
- Rub the meat (chicken, pork or beef) with the seasoning. If using a pork shoulder, score the fat and rub in. With chicken, be sure to rub under skin and in cavities.
- The jerk sauce may also be used with fish, but use a firm-fleshed fish like grouper.
- Marinate overnight. Grill over a low fire until done. Charcoal is best, but not essential.
- Meat will be smoked "pinkish" when done, and the skin will be nice and dark.