Jamaican Jerk Sauce Recipe
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1/2 c
- ground allspice berries
- 1/2 c
- packed brown sugar
- 8 clove
- scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and cored (wear gloves!)
- 1 Tbsp
- ground thyme or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bunch
- escallions (green onions)
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh nutmeg
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp
- soy sauce to moisten
How to Make Jamaican Jerk Sauce Recipe
- 1Place allspice, brown sugar, garlic, Scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, scallions, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and soy sauce in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- 2You may use whole allspice berries, if available, but use enough to give the equivalent of 1/2 cup ground. (Allspice berries and scotch bonnets are key ingredients.)
- 3Keep this sauce refrigerated and it will virtually keep forever. Feel free to increase the hot peppers and garlic.
- 4Rub the meat (chicken, pork or beef) with the seasoning. If using a pork shoulder, score the fat and rub in. With chicken, be sure to rub under skin and in cavities.
- 5The jerk sauce may also be used with fish, but use a firm-fleshed fish like grouper.
- 6Marinate overnight. Grill over a low fire until done. Charcoal is best, but not essential.
- 7Meat will be smoked "pinkish" when done, and the skin will be nice and dark.