5 cupsfinely chopped rhubarb
4 cupsgranulated sugar
16 oz.frozen sweetened strawberries, in liquid (thawed)
1 (8 oz.)can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 (3 oz.)box strawberry jell-o gelatin
1 (3 oz.)box wild strawberry jell-o gelatin
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Preserves
- In a large bowl, add the rhubarb and sugar; stir to coat evenly.
- Cover the bowl, and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, place the rhubarb mixture and the strawberries, in a large kettle.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, then lower the heat just a bit, and gently boil for 15 minutes (stirring constantly).
- Add the crushed pineapple, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off the stove, add the boxes of dry gelatin powder, and mix well.
- Transfer the jam to the sterilized glass jars, and cover the jars with the lids.
- Cool the jam to room temperature, before storing it in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Note: If using store bought frozen sweetened strawberries, you may want to decrease the amount of sugar to 3-1/2 cups. I however, used strawberries which I prepared myself and had froze them. They're not as sweet as the store bought, so the 4 cups of sugar I added, was the right amount to add to this recipe.