Paczki - Famous Polish Donuts
My good friend Kaycee & went to Chef Tad's class & learned how to make these sweet treats. This dough is easy to with & the orange zest is a must. Two favorite fillings are apricot & poppy seed. When the flat cut out rounds of dough are dropped down in the hot oil they puff up, real "FAT" making them hollow inside and perfect for filling!
Compliments of Chef Tad!
- 3 large
- extra-large eggs *
- 6 large
- extra-large egg yolks *
- 3/4 c
- 1/2 c
- butter, melted
- 1 medium
- orange, zested (whole orange)
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- 1 1/2 oz
- vodka, or bourbon or spiced rum
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- 5 1/2 c
*THIS RECIPE CALLS FOR EXTRA LARGE EGGS. YOU'LL NEED TO USE LESS FLOUR FOR SMALLER EGGS.
How to Make Paczki - Famous Polish Donuts
- 1Melt you 1/2 cup of butter and let cool to room temp. Warm milk and cream. Beat the whole eggs, yolks and sugar together then add butter and beat thoroughly. Next, add orange zest, salt, cream, milk, yeast, spiced rum and mix well.
* THE DOUGH WILL BE SOFT AND STICKY. IT SHOULD ROLL OUT VERY EASILY AND SMOOTHLY.
- 5Depending on the size of your fryer only put a few in at a time. This size that we used in the photo we dropped about 5 to 6 rounds in at a time. Let them start to puff up in the middle and you can see them brown on the one side then turn them over to finish browning the other side. Take them out and let them drain on a paper towel.
This happens very quickly within a minute or two.
- 9FOR FUN: Our male Schnoodle is named after the famous Paczki. It wasn't until I met my husband Anthony that I heard about the famous Paczki. Not only is his heritage Polish/Italian but he used to be a police officer and has had his share of Paczki. Every year, there is a box of Paczki's that arrive mysteriously in our kitchen! But now, I know how to make them so we can have some homemade.
If Paczki the Schnoodle was allowed to eat these famous Paczki he for sure would win. He would probably eat all of them and then be sick but I can assure you every last Paczki would be gone. Do you see his focus on the donut? LOL --- I think he was thinking are they mine? All mine?!