NUNU'S STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB FREEZER JAM
Upon a visit to Frankenmuth, MI in July 2014 and having lunch in the Bavarian Inn, we were served their Fresh Baked Rolls, along with their Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam ... it was absolutely delicious! My mind went into "High-Gear" and told myself, "When I get back home, I am going to try and make some of this"! With the stage set, this is the recipe I put together and believe me it was a huge success .... even with my husband, who had told me more times than I care to remember, how he really didn't care for Rhubarb.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
Yeilds: 9 Half-Pints
No-Cook or Other
- 3 c
- cut-up small and mashed fresh strawberries (takes 1-1/2 pounds whole berries)
- 1 1/2 c
- finely cut-up fresh rhubarb (see directions)
- 2 c
- sugar ---- or ---- splenda
- 1 pkg
- mrs. wages - no cook fruit pectin (1.59 oz. package)
How to Make NUNU'S STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB FREEZER JAM
- 1STRAWBERRIES: Rinse berries under cold water and drain: Remove stems and any too soft areas (if any); Cut berries into thin slices and/or 1/2 inch chunks; Place prepared berries into a large bowl and mash them with a potato masher .... to produce 3 cups of mashed strawberries.
- 2RHUBARB: Cut the ends off the fresh Rhubarb stalks; With a sharp knife, peel all the "stringy-outside" coverings from the stalks; (Those stringy strips are tough and not pleasant to eat.) Next: With a sharp knife (on a cutting board) cut lengthwise long "match-stick" size strips .... then cut those "match-stick" size strips, crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces .... to produce 1-1/2 cups of tiny rhubarb pieces.
- 3JAM: Place prepared Strawberries and Rhubarb into a large bowl.
- 4In a smaller bowl, stir and mix together 2 cups of sugar (or Splenda) and the package of Mrs. Wages - No Cook Pectin ..... add this to the Strawberry/Rhubarb bowl .... stir and mix all together. Let this mixture stand for 30 minutes or longer (stirring every once in a while) .... until sugar crystals have dissolved. Note: Ball (the makers of canning jars) has an Instant Pectin product now out on the market (which I will use, if I can't get my favorite Mrs. Wages) .... and it works also
- 5Transfer/Ladle into clean jars/plastic containers ... Twist or snap on lids ..... let stand for 30 minutes to thicken.
- 6Store in the refrigerator for "Three Weeks" ... or ... Freeze for up to "One Year".
About NUNU'S STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB FREEZER JAM
You May Also Like:
Leave a Comment