Fried Green Tomatoes with Peach Pepper Jelly Sauce
Around these parts, green tomatoes are all over the place at farmers markets and roadside farm stands during the summer.
PEACH PEPPER JELLY.
1/2 cred pepper jelly
1/2 cfinely diced peach
1 tspcreole mustard
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
4 mediumgreen tomatoes, cut in ¼-inch slices
1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
1/4 tspcayenne pepper
1/2 cwhole fat buttermilk
3/4 cpanko crumbs
·•vegetable or peanut oil
How to Make Fried Green Tomatoes with Peach Pepper Jelly Sauce
- Peach Pepper Jelly:
Combine red pepper jelly, diced peach, mustard, and horseradish in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Fried Green tomatoes:
On a plate, stir together flour, salt and pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Whisk together buttermilk and eggs in a bowl.
- Mix together cornmeal and panko crumbs on a second plate.
- Pour oil to approximately ½-inch depth in a large skillet and heat over medium heat until oil is hot.
- Dredge each tomato slice in flour, then dip in buttermilk/egg mixture, and then coat with cornmeal/panko mixture.
- Place about 5 slices in oil at a time (do not crowd) and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Season with a little more salt while warm.
- Serve warm with pepper jelly sauce.