Caramelised & Burnt Onion Relish
This does not have to be kept for a couple of months to mature and can be eaten immediately.
Whilst, the burnt version says and tastes of burnt onions there is no burning of the onions in the process. Don't be tempted to burn the onions prior to cooking the relish as this will not taste very nice and would be rather bitter.
- 2 kg
- red onions - sliced
- 50 g
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp
- stem ginger - finely chopped
- 30 g
- yellow mustard seeds
- sprig rosemary - 5cm length
- 750 g
- soft brown sugar
- 375 ml
- balsamic vinegar
How to Make Caramelised & Burnt Onion Relish
- 1Place the onions, butter and oil in a large saucepan or maslin pan and cook over a gentle heat until onions are translucent.
- 2Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer until dark in colour and sticky 1 hour approximately. Make sure you give it a stir every 15 minutes. Pour into sterilised jars and seal. Cool fully before labelling.
- 3To turn this into Burnt Onion Relish simmer on the lowest heat possible for 2 to 4 hours. Taste occasionally and when the burnt onion taste appears and there is barely any liquid left it is ready.