1 Pint Apple Butter
1 PINT APPLE BUTTER
1 1/2 - 2 lbapples (depending on size 6 - 10) peeled, cored, and roughly chopped -- don't worry about cutting away bruises
1/2 cwater or apple juice (if using water -- you may have to adjust sugar just a bit)
1/2 csugar or splenda (white or brown)
1/2 tspcinnamon, ground
1/2 tspnutmeg, ground
1/4 tspginger, ground
1/4 tspallspice, ground
1/8 tspcloves, ground
How to Make 1 Pint Apple Butter
- Put apples into a medium heavy saucepan. Add apple juice or water
- Over medium high heat bring apple juice to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover tightly and simmer for 40 - 60 minutes, stirring every 10 - 15 minutes, until apples begin to fall apart.
- Without removing pot from heat, mash the apples with the back of a spoon. Mixture will look like lumpy applesauce.
- Add sugar and spices. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking uncovered for approximately 2 hours stirring every 10 - 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat when mixture has reached desired consistency. Remember apple butter will thicken slightly when refrigerated.
- Allow apple butter to cool for 20 minutes. Stir well. Place apple butter in an air tight covered container. Place apple butter in refrigerator.