Creamy Red Eye Gravy
This gravy is great on eggs, grits, and of course biscuits, but try it on meatloaf too.
1/2 cdiced baked virginia ham
1/2 cdiced country ham
4 slicebacon, diced
1 cdiced vidiala onion
2 cchicken stock
1 cstrong brewed coffee
1 cheavy cream
1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
How to Make Creamy Red Eye Gravy
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the baked ham, country ham, bacon and onion on high heat for 5 minutes, stirring until the bacon is browned and the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the flour and stir for 3 to 5 minutes, making a roux.
- Add the stock and coffee and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream, return the heat to high and bring to a boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the pepper.
- Serve immediately, or cool and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.