Chili Verde (Green Chile)
- 2 1/2 lb
- pork roast (fresh shoulder preferred)
- 1 lb
- pork soup bones
- 44 oz
- canned tomatoes (28 oz-can and 16 oz-cans)
- 23 oz
- tomato sauce (15-oz and 8-oz cans)
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic powder
- 28 oz
- hot water (3 1/2 cups)
- 21 oz
- diced green chili strips (3.7-oz cans) or fresh green chilis if you can get them
- 3/4-1 oz
- jalapeno peppers (ortega brand) or (fresh if you like)
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
How to Make Chili Verde (Green Chile)
- 1Cut pork into 1/2 inch squares and with the pork bones fry over low heat until brown and the meat is slightly dry. If pork is very fat, pour off all but 4 or 5 Tbsp. of the grease.
- 2Using a colander, strain tomatoes into an 8-quart saucepan and coursely chop tomatoes. Combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, hot water and cooked pork and bones in the same saucepan. Bring to rapid boil and continue boiling for 20 minutes. Add spices, chopped jalapenos and chopped chili strips. Continue boiling another 20 minutes.
- 3Finish by cooking on medium heat until desired thickness, usually about another 20 minutes. Remove bones and green chili is ready to serve.
- 4NOTE: May be kept refrigerated for a week or frozen for 3 months. Use to cover burritos, chili rellenos and most anything. Melt an equal amount of grated sharp Cheddar cheese and green chili for a chili con queso dip.