Brazilian Coconut Fish Stew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 lbfillet of sole or other firm-fleshed white fish
1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
6 Tbspfresh lime or lemon juice
2tomatos, coarsely chopped
1 mediumwhite onion, coarsely chopped
1red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
6 sprig(s)cilantro coarsely chopped
2 Tbspfinely chopped fresh chile pepper (or 1/4 teaspoon chili powder)
4 Tbspdendê (brazilian red palm oil), peanut oil, or vegetable oil
1 ccoconut milk or coconut cream
How to Make Brazilian Coconut Fish Stew
- Rinse the fish fillets and drain well.
- Cut each into 3 or 4 lengthwise strips and place in a bowl.
- Combine the salt, black pepper, and 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice.
- Rub the fillet strips with the mixture and set aside to marinate, un-refrigerated, for 20 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, combine tomato, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, and chile pepper.
- Process for several seconds to make a coarse paste.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add half the paste mixture and all the fish strips and cook for 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula to turn over each fish piece carefully, for minimal breakage.
- Top with remaining paste mixture and the coconut milk. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.