- apples, scrubbed, peeled, seeded and cored
- ripe pears, scrubbed,peeled, seeded and cored
- 1 small
- ripe banana, peeled
- whole cinnamon stick
- whole star anise
- 1/2 Tbsp
- freshly grated ginger (or use about 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- cardamon pods
- whole cloves
- whole black peppercorns
- 1/3 c
- dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c
- water (you can sub white grape juice, pear juice, apple juice/cider, pineapple juice)
- 1 Tbsp
- freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice
- 1 tsp
- vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp
- whole milk yogurt, drained
- 1/4-1/2 tsp
- rosewater, to taste
FLAVORED YOGURT TOPPING:
How to Make Pear-Applesauce with Chai Spices
- 1Place the peeled fruit in the Crock-pot.
- 2Lightly crush the whole spices in a pestle and mortar then place the spices in a tea infuser (or you can use muslin cloth and tie up). Add to the Crock-pot.
- 3Now add about 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup water (white grape juice, apple juice/cider or pineapple juice), 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract to the Crock-pot.
- 4Cook on HIGH 1 hour then on LOW for about 3-4 hours until very soft.
- 5*Remove* the cinnamon stick and whole spices. Use an immersion blender to puree the fruit or transfer to a blender or food processor and puree in batches to desired consistency.
To serve: Eat and enjoy warm or cold. I like to add a dollop of plain yogurt with rosewater to my serving.