Crockpot Apple Butter
·10 cups apples – peeled, cored, and chopped
·1½ cups granulated sugar
·½ cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
·1 tbsp. cinnamon
·¼ tsp. salt
·options: ½ tsp. of any or all of the following spices depending on your likes and dislikes: ground cloves, nutmeg, allspice, ginger
·honey to adjust for sweetness
·non-stick cooking spray
How to Make Crockpot Apple Butter
- Spray crock-pot lightly with cooking spray. Place the prepared apples in crock-pot.
- In separate bowl mix the sugar, cinnamon, salt and other desired spices. Stir into the apples to combine mixture thoroughly in crock-pot.
- Cover and cook on high for one hour. Turn heat to low and cook for approx. 7 - 8 hours more, stirring occasionally. Apple butter mixture should be thick and golden brown.
- Taste for sweetness, since apples vary in sweetness, you may want to add a little honey at this point to achieve desired sweetness.
- Cook for one hour more, uncovered. At this point, whisk the apple butter for a smooth creamy texture.
- Apple Butter can be stored covered in refrigerator or frozen in plastic freezer containers.