Caramelized Onion Dip
It is so worth the bit of time it takes.
You will be hard pressed to find a better onion dip recipe and it is a guarantee you won't find these flavors in a paper pouch!
It is frequently requested and always an enormous hit at gatherings.
- 3 Tbsp
- oil - vegetable or olive oil
- 2 c
- diced onion - i like to use spanish onion for the extra flavor
- 1-1/2 c
- sour cream
- 3/4 c
- real mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp
- black pepper or use white if you prefer
- 1/4 tsp
- garlic powder - optional
- green onion chopped for garnish
How to Make Caramelized Onion Dip
- 1In a saute pan over medium heat heat oil.
Add diced onions.
Cook the onions, stirring often, until they are caramelized.
- 2Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 3Mix remaining ingredients thoroughly. Add the cooled onion and stir well.
- 4Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Before serving, stir the dip and sprinkle chopped green onion over the top for extra flavor and garnish.
I do not add any salt to this because once the onions are caramelized they give off a salty taste.