Vinagre - Spicy Pineapple Vinegar
- ripe pineapples
- 1/2 large
- spanish onion, thinly sliced, yellow onion is good too.
- 1 Tbsp
- smashed fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp
- black peppercorns, whole
- 20 clove
- garlic, crushed with a knife or a press.
- habanero peppers, fresh, or chili peppers of your choice; stem’s removed & coarsely chopped.
- 1 Tbsp
- cider vinager or more as needed.
- 1/2 tsp
- fine sea salt or kosher, or more if needed.
How to Make Vinagre - Spicy Pineapple Vinegar
- 1Cut the tops off the pineapple and discard them. With a big knife cut off the rind from the pineapples with as little pineapple attached as possible. Put the rinds in a pot large enough to hold them comfortably and pour enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and cook until the peel is very tender, about 30 minutes. Add water if necessary to keep the rinds submerged.
- 2Meanwhile, put the onion, peppercorns, garlic, peppers, vinegar & salt in a large jar with a tight fitting lid.
- 3Strain the pineapple liquid over the seasonings. If there is not enough liquid to cover the ingredients, cover the pineapple with water again and boil for 20 minutes. Taste and add salt and vinegar, more if you need it.
- 4You can use it as soon as it is cooled, but it will get better as it sits. Keep at room temperature 1 day, then refrigerate.
- 5Vinagre can be used on anything. Over rice dishes, with soup, added to stew at the end of cooking, at the table with any dish, and on anything grilled. The spicier the better. Buen proveche!! Enjoy your meal!