Salsa or Hot Sauce Dip
How to Make Salsa or Hot Sauce Dip
- Fry bacon until crisp and crumble by hand. Set aside. Reserve 4 tablespoons bacon grease.
- Chop onion and jalapenos and saute in bacon grease for 3 minutes on med/high heat. (I do not remove the seeds from the jalapenos. You can adjust the peppers for how spicy you like.)
- Quarter tomatoes and add to vegetable mix in skillet. Cover about 3 minutes. The tomatoes should be getting soft. Use an old fashion potato masher to mash the tomatoes. Cook about 10 minutes with lid on.
- Remove lid turn off stove. (Remove from stove if it is electric) Add bacon bits. Taste. Add salt if needed. Serve hot with tortilla chips.
- Explanations and suggestions: Cut bacon in smaller pieces for quicker cooking. Adjust jalapenos to taste. Use tomatoes that are very, very ripe. That is where your juice will come from. The bacon grease can be decreased or you can use EVOO. I find there is more flavor with the bacon grease. This can be kept warm in a small crock pot on "warm".