Roasted Salsa Verde
My family enjoys this dish immensely.
1 smallyellow or white onion cut into slices
3 mediumserrano or jalapeno peppers halved the long way and seeded (leave seeds of one or more for a hot kick)
1 clovecrushed or minced garlic
2 Tbspfresh lime juice or juice from half a lime
1/8 cchopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbspsea salt or table salt
1 Tbspcoarse ground black pepper
How to Make Roasted Salsa Verde
- Turn on oven to broil setting or set bake on 500 degrees.
- Husk, wash and half tomatillos and place cut side down in a baking or casserole dish.
- Seed peppers and remove stems and add to baking dish with tomatillos.
- Place pan into oven under broiler (leave oven door slightly open) and roast for 10 minutes or until tomato and pepper skins start to brown and get flaky. Remove from oven, taking care to do so before skins blacken and peel too much. I like mine golden brown and beginning to blacken and flake; then I know they're perfect.
- Add peppers, onion slices, and tomatillos and any juice remaining in the pan into food processor.
- Add lime juice, sugar, cilantro and garlic and mix 30 seconds or until well blended.
- Mix in salt and pepper. Serve.