Chow Chow (Old Fashioned)
- 5 c
- coarsely chopped green tomatoes
- 5 c
- coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 1/2 c
- finely chopped yellow onion or sweet onion
- 2 c
- coarsely chopped bell pepper 1 red for color
- 1/3 c
- kosher salt or pickling salt
- 2 1/2 c
- cider vinegar
- 1 c
- light brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp
- yellow mustard seeds
- 2 clove
- garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp
- celery seed
- 1/2 tsp
- red pepper flakes, or to taste, optional
How to Make Chow Chow (Old Fashioned)
- 1Combine the chopped vegetables in a large nonreactive kettle or bowl.
- 2Add the salt and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and let stand for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- 3Drain the vegetables and rinse thoroughly.
- 4In a large nonreactive stockpot bring the vinegar, brown sugar, and seeds and spices to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat to medium low and continue simmering for 5 minutes.
- 6Add the drained vegetables and bring back to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8With a slotted spoon, pack the vegetables into prepared jars. Cover vegetables with the pickling liquid, leaving about 1/4-inch headspace. With a clean dampened cloth, wipe the rims of the jars. Place the flat lids on the jars then close caps with screw-on rings tightly, but do not over-tighten. Arrange the filled jars in the canner and add more water, as needed, to be at least 1 inch above the jars. Bring to a full boil. Cover and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Remove the relish to a rack to cool completely.