Sweet Peppers in Tomato Sauce (Dads recipe)
How to Make Sweet Peppers in Tomato Sauce (Dads recipe)
- 1Remove seed and veins from peppers and cut into strips.
- 2Fry peppers in batches in oil until about half cooked.
- 3Drain peppers from oil and set aside.
- 4Combine ingredients and bring to a boil.
- 5Add peppers and cook until tender (about 2 hours on low simmer).
- 6After it has simmered, fill clean sterilized jars to within 1 inch of top of jar. Put on cap, screw the band 'fingertip' tight. If too tight, then air cannot escape the jars while boiling or canning process.
- 7Process in water bath:
Add filled and sealed jars in simmering water inside canner, and then bring up water temperature to a steady rolling boil. Make sure the water level is at least one inch over top of jars too. Also, add lid over canner while processing.
Process 35 minutes for pints.
Process 45 minutes for quarts.
Remove from canner. Let cool in draft-free area (cover with towels to be sure).
Let sit for 24 hours to cool down before storing.
Check lids to be sure they are sealed. (Press center of lid with your finger. If it moves and makes a "click", the jar is not sealed.)