Peppered Garlic Dill Pickles
- 3 Tbsp
- pickling spice
- 6 c
- white or cider vinegar (5% min)
- 6 c
- 1 c
- raw brown sugar
- 2/3 c
- pickling or canning salt (kosher salt can be used)
- bay leaves
- 1-1/2 tsp
- whole black peppercorns
- 6 clove
- fresh garlic
- 3 tsp
- mustard seeds
- heads (sprigs) fresh dill
- 12-13-1/2 c
- washed, sliced, trimmed pickling cucumbers (1/4" thick slices)
How to Make Peppered Garlic Dill Pickles
- 1Prepare canner, jars, and lids
- 2Tie pickling spice in a square of cheesecloth to create spice bag.
- 3In large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, pickling salt, and spice bag. Bring to boil over med-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Reduce heat and boil gently for 15 minutes, until spices have infused liquid.
- 4Place 1 bay leaf, 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds, and 2 heads of dill into each jar. Pack cucumber slices into hot jars to within a generous 1/2" of top of jar. Ladel hot pickling liquid into jar to cover cucumbers, leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary by adding hot liquid. Wipe rims. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistence is met, then increase to finger-tip tight.
- 5Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes. Turn off and remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.