My Aunt Caties Sauce
·meatballs, sausage, braciole(rolled meat) and lamb shank
·small onion chopped very fine
·cloves of garlic-depending on your taste, we use 5-6
·3 cans whole tomatoes
·1 can tomato paste-(estratto) it was homemade for us, but canned is fine
·tsp. sugar..salt and pepper to taste
·handful of freah basil-left whole
·1 can of water-rinse the tomato cans into 1 can
·patience and lots of it...lol
How to Make My Aunt Caties Sauce
- fry your meatballs, then sausage, then braciole, lamb shank, in a big pot, with about 1/4 cup olive oil, it's all cooked in 1 pot.
- When meatballs are done put in a big dish, as with the sausage and rest of the meat. Add your chopped onion to the pot with all that cook stuff the meat left..lol
- Saute till onion is transparent, and add the paste, mix well and allow the paste to get really, really dark, not burnt. Stir often.
- In the meantime, puree your tomatoes either by hand if you like it chunky or a processer/blender. Add to the paste and mix well.
- Cook on a low setting or flame, soon foam will appear, scrape that out with a spoon. Add sugar, water, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 hours covered, stirring occasionally.
- Some foam still may appear, just scrape it out.
- Add the lamb and sausage to the sauce and cover, cook another hour, stirring occasionally
- Add meatballs and braciole, cover and cook about another hour. Stirring occasionally.
- With a slotted spoon remove all the meat and place in a bowl. Add the basil, cover and cook about 1/2 hour. Turn off heat and allow to sit for about another 1/2 hour.
- That should do it...I think I got it all..lol
You don't have to use lamb or braciole. You can use just the sausage and meatballs. It comes out just as good.