★★★★★ 1 vote5
- onion, sliced
- 1/2 c
- olive oil
- 1 can(s)
- tomatoes, peeled and diced
- carrot, peeled and chopped
- sprigs fresh parsley
- garlic clove
- 1 tsp
- dried basil
- celery stalk and leaves chopped
How to Make Mother's Tomato Sauce
- 1Place the onion and half of the oil in a saucepan and cook until the onion is lightly browned.
- 2Add tomatoes, carrot, parsley, garlic, salt, basil and celery.
- 3Cook, covered, over moderate heat, stirring very occasionally, for 1/2 hour or until the vegetables are very soft.
- 4Strain through a food mill, taste for salt and adjust if necessary. (If sauce is too thin, place on heat again to thicken. )
- 5Remove from heat, add the remaining oil and stir.
- 6NOTE: For a marinara or a more piquant sauce, just before adding the last oil, add 1/4 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper and 1 clove garlic passed through a garlic press or chopped very fine.