★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2 colive oil
1 can(s)tomatoes, peeled and diced
1carrot, peeled and chopped
2sprigs fresh parsley
1 tspdried basil
1celery stalk and leaves chopped
How to Make Mother's Tomato Sauce
- Place the onion and half of the oil in a saucepan and cook until the onion is lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, carrot, parsley, garlic, salt, basil and celery.
- Cook, covered, over moderate heat, stirring very occasionally, for 1/2 hour or until the vegetables are very soft.
- Strain through a food mill, taste for salt and adjust if necessary. (If sauce is too thin, place on heat again to thicken. )
- Remove from heat, add the remaining oil and stir.
- NOTE: For a marinara or a more piquant sauce, just before adding the last oil, add 1/4 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper and 1 clove garlic passed through a garlic press or chopped very fine.