NOTE: This sauce can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 2 months. It's a good sauce to keep on hand frozen if you make a bulk batch!
2 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
1/4 mediumonion, diced (about 3 tbsp)
3 clovegarlic, chopped or pressed
3 1/2 cwhole peeled canned tomatoes in puree (one 28oz can), roughly chopped
1 sprig(s)fresh thyme (or 2 tsp dried)
1 sprig(s)fresh basil (or 2 tsp dried)
2 tspkosher salt
1 dash(es)black pepper (fresh ground preferred)
How to Make Mmmarinara Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic, stirring, until lightly browned. About 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (and puree) and the herb sprigs and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard the herb sprigs, unless dried seasoning was used. Stir in the salt and season with pepper to taste.