Maria's sweet and sassy Mole
★★★★★ 1 vote5
5new mexican chilis, destemmed, deseeded ( discard seeds)
2guajillo chilis, destemmed, deseeded (discard seeds)
3chipotle chili, destemmed, deseeded (discard seeds)
4ancho chilis, destemmed, deseeded (retain seeds in small container)
2 Tbspsesame seeds - or 1 oz
1 ozpeanuts hulled not salted
1 ozalmonds, blanched or sliced
1medium onion chopped in large chunks
6 clovegarlic smashed
1piece wheat bread
1tortillas, flour or corn
1 lbroma tomatoes ( 4-6) cut in half
1/2tablet mexican chocolate
1 cgrapeseed oil or slightly more then 3/4 c olive oil
2 Tbspchicken stock, low sodium
How to Make Maria's sweet and sassy Mole
- Begin boiling 2 1/2 quarts of water in a large pot.
- Add ancho seeds, sesame, peanuts, almonds and peppercorns to a small saucepan and toast over medium heat.
- While these are toasting, add the chilis to a grill pan and toast over medium heat.
- While the chilis are toasting, peel and smash the garlic and large chop the onion.
- When the seeds are nicely toasted, remove from heat and let cool.
- When the chilis are toasted, add them to the boiling water.
- Add the onion and garlic to the grill pan and toast.
- While they are toasting, cut the tomatoes in half and measure the raisins.
- Once toasted, add the onion and garlic to boiling water.
- Toast onions and garlic, then add to boiling water.
- Toast tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and raisins in grill pan.
- While tomatoes, etc are toasting, add tortilla and bread to boiling water (watching the bread expand is my favorite part!).
- Once toasted, add the tomatoes, cinnamon stick and raisins to the boiling water.
- Also add the seed mixture, grapeseed oil, chocolate, stock and salt.
- Let simmer approximately 30 minutes.
- Use immersion blender to puree thoroughly. If you do not have an immersion blender, allow mixture to cool and blenderize in batches (add time to let it cool -- do NOT blend while hot!).
- Turn heat on low and add the sugar. Simmer uncovered until thick, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve over rice and poached (or rotisserie), shredded chicken.