Lactose-free Homemade Condensed Cream Sauce
Ruth Ann Vokac
I am sure this recipe is a combination of several other recipes, but this is the formula that we have adopted. I use it to replace cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup. It could be easily adapted for cream of celery, broccoli, etc.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 tspolive oil
2 Tbsponions, minced
2 clovegarlic, minced or grated
8 ozwhite button mushrooms, sliced
1 tspdried parsley
1/4 cwhite wine
2 Tbspall-purpose flour
2 cchicken stock, canned or homemade, divided
1 tspbetter than bouillon, chicken flavor
1 clactaid whole milk
How to Make Lactose-free Homemade Condensed Cream Sauce
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat. On low heat, sauté onions for a few minutes and then add white mushrooms and garlic and dried parsley. Continue sautéing until vegetables are soft.
(I used shitaki mushrooms at first, but we prefer the milder taste of white mushrooms.)
- Add wine (or a splash of chicken broth). Scrape up any bits on the bottom and cook a couple of minutes until liquid evaporates.
- Add 1 cup chicken stock, Better than Bouillon Chicken Flavor, and cooked vegetables to a blender and blend until vegetable are in tiny pieces.
- To the skillet, add the butter and let it melt. Add flour and stir for a couple of minutes until bubbly. In ½ cup portions, add remainder of stock and continue to stir for a minute or so after each addition. Add blended vegetable mixture. Continue cooking on low.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, add lactose-free whole milk and cornstarch. Put on lid and shake vigorously. Add mixture to skillet. Turn heat to medium and continue stirring as mixture thickens.
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Continue cooking on low for a couple of minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate. Use as you would creamed, condensed soups.
- Note: Some suggestions for different flavors:
1. Substitute asparagus or broccoli for mushrooms.
2. Omit mushrooms. Add some sage or poultry seasoning, making a cream of chicken soup.
3. Substitute minced, cooked celery for mushrooms. Don't blend the celery.
4. Substitute beef stock for chicken stock, and change flavor of Better than Bouillon to beef.
I have used this mixture . . .
to add to cooked noodles
to add to stuffing before baking
for making scalloped potatoes
for making potpie
as a base for cream soups.