☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 1/2 cheavy cream (at least 35% fat)
2 1/2 Tbspwhite vinegar (or fresh lemon juice)
How to Make Homemade Mascarpone
- Place the cream in a heavy saucepan (enameled cast iron is the best). Bring the cream to a simmer, but not a full boil. You should be able to see the cream moving gently, and perhaps a few small bubbles on the side of the pan. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath for the pan.
- Add the lemon juice or vinegar, then whisk until thickened. You may see some separation, but this is normal. Thickening will take 10-15 minutes. When thickened, remove from heat and place the pan in the ice bath. Allow the mixture to cool for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the mixture is cooling, line a colander with cheesecloth. Set the colander inside a slightly larger bowl and set aside.
- When the mixture has cooled, pour it into the lined colander. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, what's left in the cheesecloth is mascarpone. Transfer to a lidded container - you should have about 11 ounces of mascarpone. Cover and refrigerate. It will last about 5-6 days.
- Note: you will have some liquid, called whey, at the bottom of the bowl. You can use this for many things: for soup stock, in your smoothies as a probiotic, in your pizza dough, etc. Also, your pooch will love it, too!