Hazelnut-Chocolate Spread a.k.a. Homemade Nutella
This recipe was adapted from a posting in the LA Times.
- 2 c
- hazelnuts, raw
- 1/2 c
- cocoa powder, unsweetened (you will want to use good quality cocoa)
- 1 c
- powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- hazelnut oil, (you may need more)
How to Make Hazelnut-Chocolate Spread a.k.a. Homemade Nutella
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread the hazelnuts evenly over a cookie sheet and roast until they darken and become aromatic, about 10 minutes. Transfer the hazelnuts to a damp towel and rub to remove the skins.
- 2In a food processor fitted with a blade, grind the hazelnuts to a smooth butter, scraping the sides as needed. About five minutes.
- 3Add the cocoa, sugar, vanilla, salt and oil to the food processor and continue to process until well blended, about 1 minute. The finished spread should have the consistency of creamy peanut butter; if it is too dry, add in a little extra hazelnut oil until the desired consistency is achieved. Remove to a container, cover and refrigerate until needed. Allow the spread to come to room temperature before using, as it thickens considerably when refrigerated.
Makes about 1 1/2 cup.