Fresh Basil Pesto
- 1/4 c
- pine nuts (pignolias) or chopped walnuts
- 3 clove
- 2 c
- fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 c
- olive oil, extra virgin (make sure good quality)
- 1/2 c
- fresh grated parmesian-reggiano or pecorino cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Fresh Basil Pesto
- 1Toast the pine nuts (or walnuts) in an ungreased pan to release the oils and enhance flavor. About 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2In a food processor, mince the garlic, add pine nuts, pulse, add the basil, pulse, add a little bit of the cheese, pulse. Turn food processor on full blast and stream in the olive oil until desired texture. (Thick paste) Taste. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more cheese or oil to taste.
- 3Serve with pasta, over baked potatoes, spread over toasted baguette slices, on your favorite sandwiches, or with tomatoes and mozarella.
- 4Keeps in refrigerator about a week or in freezer for a month.