Bread and Butter Pickles-old Fannie Farmer
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 4 qt
- firm medium size cucumbers
- 3 c
- onions, small white or
- onions, yellow, medium
- 1/2 c
- coarse pickling or kosher salt
- 5 c
- apple cider vinegar
- 3 c
- white sugar
- 2 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 Tbsp
- whole allspice
- 2 Tbsp
- yellow mustard seed
- 1/3 Tbsp
- celery seed
- 1/2 Tbsp
- ground cloves
- 1 inch stick
- cinnamon,broken into bits
- 1 bag(s)
- ice cubes
How to Make Bread and Butter Pickles-old Fannie Farmer
- 1First Day:
Parboil cucumbers 2 minutes and then blanche them.
To do this,
Wash Whole cucumbers and place in large stock or canning pot and cover with cool water. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes then immediately remove cucumbers and plunge them into ice water.
- 2Peel and thinly slice large onions or peel and remove root end from small whole onions.
- 3Slice cucumbers into rounds 1/6 -1/8 inch thick.
- 4Place onion slices and cucumber slices into a large glass bowl or crock,sprinkle with salt and give them a quick toss together.
- 5Cover with a weighted plate slightly smaller than bowl or crock and let sit 12 hours in refrigerator.
- 6Next Day:
Drain vegetables and rinse well in cold water. Drain thoroughly until no moisture drips from them.( If you have a cloth bag for hanging them over the sink use it instead of a strainer.)
- 7Get your canning jars ready and keep hot.
- 8In a heany bottomed pan big enough to fit all the sliced veg with room to spare make a syrup with the vinegar, sugars and spices.Do not let syrup boil.
- 9Slowly add drained vegs with minimal stirring. Once they are all in the pot heat the mix to scalding point (180f) bubbles in syrup barely begin to form at the scalding point.
- 10Pack pickles and syrup into hot sterile jars, seal with hot sterile lids and process 15 mins in hot water bath. There should be 2 inches of water at least over the tops of the jars.
- 11Remove from bath and let cool in an area away from drafts. Check seals and store jars in cool dry place. Refrigerate after opening.
- 12This recipe and method may also be used to pickle a mix of carrots,onions,baby cucumbers and up to 1/3 cauliflower florets.