Vicki Butts (lazyme)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
5 Tbspunsalted butter
4 cwhole milk, warm
1/2 tspsalt, to tasste
1 pinchground white pepper, to taste
1 pinchnutmeg, freshly grated, to taste
How to Make Bechamel Sauce
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the warm milk, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick, smooth and creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Do not allow the bechamel sauce to boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch each of white pepper and nutmeg.
- Season the sauce with more salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- The sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate.