A&W Coney Island Sauce version 2
★★★★★ 2 votes5
- 5 pounds hamburger
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 64 ounces hunt's tomato paste
- 64 ounces canned tomato puree
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoon salt plus 1 teaspoon salt
How to Make A&W Coney Island Sauce version 2
- 1Brown hamburger and onions in very large skillet; drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 1/2 hours. Stir frequently, as it will tend to stick. This freezes well.
Author's note: To get that authentic taste, use only Kogel franks and rehydrate dry minced onions in boiling water.