Sweet Tea Brine
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 4 lb
- of your favorite family-sized tea bags
- 4 c
- 2 c
- 1/8 - 1/4 c
- salt (i use kosher or sea salt) you can safely use 1/8 cup of salt if watching your sodium
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 Tbsp
- freshly cracked black pepper
- fresh rosemary sprigs
- garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 small
- onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large
- lemon, thinly sliced
How to Make Sweet Tea Brine
- 1Bring 4 cups water to a boil. Remove from heat, add tea bags, cover and let steep for 10 minutes.
- 2Remove tea bags. Add sugar and salt to tea, stir until dissolved.
- 3Add rosemary, pepper, garlic, onion, and lemon to tea, mixing well. Cool completely.
When completely cooled, stir in 2 cups of ice until melted - brine should be cold.
- 4Transfer cold brine to plastic bowl(with lid) or heavy duty zip locking freezer bag. Completely submerge chicken in brine.
Place in fridge 24 hours before cooking.
*If you use a freezer bag, do yourself a favor and put the bag in a large bowl in case of leakage.
- 5Before grilling, drain and discard brine and then pat chicken dry before grilling. Do not rinse chicken.