BOUQUET GARNI (spice)
~~FRENCH BOUQUET GARNI and
~~TRADITIONAL BOUQUET GARNI.
Choose one of the two recipes provided to season your dishes, or you can make your own Bouquet Garni using the suggestions in the Cook's Tip at the bottom of the recipe.
- french boquet garni:
- tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped fine
- tablespoon fresh savory, chopped fine
- tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped fine
- tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped fine
- tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- traditional bouquet garni:
- stalks of parsley
- sprig of thyme
- bay leaf
How to Make BOUQUET GARNI (spice)
- 1HOW TO MAKE A FRENCH BOUQUET GARNI:
Combine all herbs in a small bowl. Since spices lose their flavor as time passes, do not make large batches of bouquet garni. Instead, make smaller batches that can be used within one month. Keep the spices inside an airtight container in a cool, dark area. Avoid storing them above the stove as heat can interfere with the spices' flavor. Your aim in making a bouquet garni should be to produce a balanced, complex flavor that makes your diner want to take another bite, not analyze it. In other words - don't overpower your dish with the bouquet garni.
- 2This traditional French bouquet garni will add real French flavor to any Provencal dish. If you’re not into French cuisine use it to complement your salads, vegetables, meat dishes and even hot desserts.
- 3HOW TO MAKE A TRADITIONAL BOUQUET GARNI:
It's easy to make. Let's start with the traditional bouquet garni. A simple but flavorful "broth posy" consisting of parsley, time and bay leaf.
- 4Tie the herbs together in a little bundle with a piece of string. Add the bouquet garni to any stew, sauce or casserole you are preparing. You can use either fresh or dried herbs. Typically it is added at the beginning of a soup, sauce or stew recipe and allowed to simmer for a long time with the other ingredients. At the finish of the cooking time, it will be removed and discarded.
- 5Cook's Tip: Some other suggestions for bouquet garni:
Beef: marjoram, oregano, orange zest, parsley, thyme
Pork: marjoram, rosemary, sage, and thyme
Lamb: garlic, mint, rosemary, savory, thyme
Fish: basil, cilantro, fennel, parsley, thyme
Chicken: marjoram, sage, savory, tarragon, thyme,