Blood Orange, Kumquat and Strawberry Marmalade
How to Make Blood Orange, Kumquat and Strawberry Marmalade
- 1Wash and dry all fruit.
- 2using a mandolin slice oranges, kumquats to 1/8 inch, removing seeds as you go. Stack and slice in quarters (or so that the peels are about 1/2 to 1 inch long). Place orange and kumquat in LARGE pot with water and allow to rest for 1 hour. Place small plate in freezer.
- 3Slice strawberries to 1/8 inch and smash EXTRA CHUNKY. Add to water mixture and bring to full boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes stirring often.
- 4Bring back to boil, add sugar and continue to boil until temperature reaches 222F. This will take about 15 - 20 minutes. To check for doneness, drip about 1 TBSP on frozen plate. Wait about 30-45 seconds. If it starts to gel, it is done. If not, cook for a bit longer or until temp reaches 224.
- 5Meanwhile, while you're waiting for the temp to get to 222, prep your mason jars and lids (I used 4 1/2 8 ounce jars...Just prep more than you think you'll need) in boiling water. Remove jars, lids and rings from water and drain on towel until ready to use.
- 6Fill jars to just to the bottom of the rings, place lids on and set on counter to cool for at least 12 hours.
- 7Will last for 6 months in cool dark place, with lids sealed. Once opened, store in refrigerator for up to 2 months.