Strawberry - Peach Sherry Preserves
Lisa 'Gayle' Goff
- 3 c
- fresh coarsly pureed peaches (skins removed)(about 6 med-lg peaches)
- 1 c
- fresh coarsly pureed strawberries (about 1 basket)
- 7 1/2 c
- 1/4 c
- lemon juice
- 1/2 c
- cream sherry
- 1 stick
- vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp
- butter (optional)
- 6 oz
- liquid fruit pectin
How to Make Strawberry - Peach Sherry Preserves
- 1prepare jars and lids as you would for any canning job. (I use the rinse and dry cycle of my dishwasher for the jars (no soap)) and a saucepan of gently boiling water for the lids and rings.
- 2Start LARGE pot of water to boil for canning process and a pot of water to blanch the peaches in. Also prepare an ic bath for the peaches when removed from the blanching pan. Cut a shallow X in the bottom of each peach place in the boiling water about 45 seconds and remove to ice bath, this should make the skins easy to remove.
- 3peel and see the peaches, in a blender or food processor pulse until coarsly pureed.Wash and remove stems from strawberries and pulse until coarsly pureed.
- 4Transfer purees to a large heavy bottomed pot, add all ingredients EXCEPT pectin and bring to a boil stirring constantly, Add the pectin and return to a boil, boli hard for 1 minute remove from heat and skim any foam and remove and discard cinnamon and vanilla.
- 5Ladle into jars leaving 1/4" headroom and process in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- 6**I discovered I didn't have Vanilla Bean so I used extract and it was GOOD!
******DO NOT DOUBLE THE BATCH!! It won't reach a hard boil and won't thicken properly, I did this so I know, I had to split the batch into two pans and let it reach a hard boil and then put them in the jars. I was able to save my entire double batch but it was MESSYYYYYYY! I won't do that again!