Saucy Salsa Jam
- 2 c
- ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped finely
- 1 c
- vidalia or red onion, chopped finely
- 1 c
- tomato sauce
- jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 Tbsp
- lemon or lime juice
- 2 tsp
- lemon or lime zest
- 3 dash(es)
- hot sauce, e.g. tabasco
- 5 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 pkg
- liquid fruit pectin
How to Make Saucy Salsa Jam
- 1Sterilize jars and prepare lids/rings/seals.
- 2Combine tomatoes, onions, tomato sauce and jalapeño peppers in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and summer 5 minutes. Stir so it doesn't stick.
- 3Add lemon or lime juice, zest, hot pepper sauce and gradually stir in sugar. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally over medium-low heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- 4Increase temperature to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil. Keep stirring and add the pectin. Keep boiling and stirring for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 5Cool jam 5 minutes and then ladle into prepared jars. Leave a small headspace. Wipe jars clean, put on lids/rings/seals and process in water bath for 10 minutes (longer if bigger jars).
- 6This makes a soft-set jam. If you don't like spicy, omit the jalapeño and substitute one red pepper, chopped finely.