Saucy Salsa Jam
2 cripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped finely
1 cvidalia or red onion, chopped finely
1 ctomato sauce
2jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
3 Tbsplemon or lime juice
2 tsplemon or lime zest
3 dash(es)hot sauce, e.g. tabasco
5 cgranulated sugar
1 pkgliquid fruit pectin
How to Make Saucy Salsa Jam
- Sterilize jars and prepare lids/rings/seals.
- Combine tomatoes, onions, tomato sauce and jalapeño peppers in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and summer 5 minutes. Stir so it doesn't stick.
- Add lemon or lime juice, zest, hot pepper sauce and gradually stir in sugar. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally over medium-low heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase temperature to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil. Keep stirring and add the pectin. Keep boiling and stirring for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cool jam 5 minutes and then ladle into prepared jars. Leave a small headspace. Wipe jars clean, put on lids/rings/seals and process in water bath for 10 minutes (longer if bigger jars).
- This makes a soft-set jam. If you don't like spicy, omit the jalapeño and substitute one red pepper, chopped finely.