Raspberry Jam-Filled Doughnuts
Photo by me.
- (1/4 oz.) envelope dry active yeast
- 1/8 cup
- warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 3/4 cup
- lukewarm milk
- (scant) cup sugar, just use a little less than 1/2 cup
- 1/2 tsp.
- 3 Tbl.
- butter-flavored crisco
- 2 1/2 cups
- for deep frying
- *raspberry, strawberry or your favorite jam or jelly
- *powdered sugar, (or can use regular sugar if preferred)
How to Make Raspberry Jam-Filled Doughnuts
- 1Sprinkle yeast over warm water and let stand five minutes or until foamy. In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and one cup of the flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed. Beat in remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for about five minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about an hour or a bit longer. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and gently roll out to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into circles. Let rise again until doubled in bulk. Heat 4 cups of oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 350. Carefully slide doughnuts into hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn the doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Doughnuts are ready when both sides are golden brown. Fill with 1 Tbl.jam or jelly using a pastry injector, or by cutting a small slit in the side of the doughnut and inserting the jelly with a baby spoon. Close tightly, sprinkle with or roll in powdered sugar.