★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3/4 c
- raisins or dried cranberries
- 6 c
- chopped cored peeled granny smith apples or other tart apples
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 c
- unsweetened apple juice
- 9 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 pkg
- 1.75 oz regular powdered fruit pectin
- 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp
- ground nutmeg
How to Make Mom's Apple Pie in a Jar
- 11. Prepare canner, jars and lids.
- 22. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse raisins until finely chopped. Set aside.
- 33. In a large, deeep stainless steel saucepan, combine apples and lemon zest and juice. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until apples begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in pectin until dissolved. Stir in raisins. Return to high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard, stirring contstantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Skim off foam.
- 44. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and ajust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot jam. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
- 55. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are competely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 mintues, then remove jars, cool and store. Be sure to check time needed for processing depending on your elevation. (Here in Colorado where I am I have to add 10 minutes to my canning time for my elevation.)