- 10 large
- (about 5 pounds) tart apples
- 2 c
- apple cider
- 3-5 c
- sugar ( i use at least 1 cup brown to every 2 cups white)
- 3 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp
- ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp
- ground nutmeg
How to Make "Keep that loving peeling" Apple Butter
- 1Wash, core, and quarter the apples. No need to peel them.
- 2Cook the apples slowly in the cider until tender. Blend in food processor until smooth. You should have 12-14 cups of pulp.
- 3Add 3 cups of sugar, then more sugar, if needed, to attain the desired sweetness. Add the spices and mix thoroughly.
- 4Place in slow cooker or 350 degree oven for 6-8 hours, stirring often. Test for desired thickness by spooning a small amount onto a cold plate. If no liquid oozes around the edges, then its thick enough.
- 5Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- 6Process in a boiling water-bath canner for 10 minutes, or 15 minutes for pints. Can also be frozen.